Here is this week’s museum news:
- The Fitzwilliam Museum is advertising for an HR and Workforce Development Manager, closing date 28 November (see attached).
- The Fitzwilliam is also advertising for a Development Assistant – Membership. See full details at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/15609/, closing date 15 November.
- Kettle’s Yard is advertising for a Visitor Assistant. See full details at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/15584/, closing date 4 December.
- Burwell Museum has another batch of items for disposal (see attached). As usual, if you are interested contact Steve Crane on email@example.com.
- Just a reminder that you can get involved in the BBC’s ‘Civilizations’ programme on Museum Crush. For details go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1jDXj23sqKg8w4p2MWvX9nV/civilisations-festival-how-to-get-involved.
- There will be a lot of museum-relevant archaeology being discussed at the Cambridge Antiquarian Society’s conference on 18 November (see attached).
- There is a worldwide Museum Shop event on 26 November. You will find more information about the event and how to get involved here.
- The Festival Bridge is running an Artsmark Support Session at The Junction on 29th November from 12 – 1. This is an opportunity for museums to meet schools.
- I have been told that a museum somewhere in the Country has been offering special advantages (return free visits) to visitors who used gift aid. Please note that this is illegal and that gift aid and non-gift aid museum visitors must be treated equally.
Here is the latest crop of Cambridgeshire museum news:
- The Cromwell Museum Trust is advertising for a Museum Manager/Curator (see attached advert and job description), closing date 30 November.
- Just a reminder of the SHARE session on capital projects with a chance to see the Norwich Castle redevelopment on 10 November; booking now at http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/an-inside-job-the-lowdown-on-capital-projects/.
- I have been sent details of Britain on Film on Tour, a programme of archive films available to museums at very low prices. Please see http://www.independentcinemaoffice.org.uk/films/britainonfilm.
- The Imperial War Museum is advertising for a new Head of Volunteering and Engagement, closing date 22 November (see attached).
Here is this week’s museums update, but firstly can I make a plea on behalf of several Cambridgeshire museums which are looking for more suitably-skilled trustees? If you might be interested in exploring the possibilities of this for yourself or a colleague please do contact me for an initial conversation.
- SHARE Conference 6 November – this is the last chance to book, as bookings close end Monday 23 October. Booking link: http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/facing-change-moving-forward-the-7th-annual-share-conference/.
- Cambridge Museum of Technology is advertising for an Education Officer, closing date 9 November. It is job 49896 at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/49896.htm.
- The SHARE Fenland Museums Group has its next meeting at Ramsey Rural Museum on 14 November.
- There are still spaces available for the SHARE day on capital projects at Norwich Castle on 10 November at http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/an-inside-job-the-lowdown-on-capital-projects/ .
- SHARE have organised an excellent volunteer management programme to run at St Neots Museum in January, February and March next years. For details go to http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/working-effectively-with-volunteers-recruitment-development-community-engagement-and-beyond/.
- Kettle’s Yard are advertising for a Learning and Engagement Officer (maternity cover) at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/15271/ , closing date 8 November.
- Vivacity Peterborough are advertising an Outreach and Education post at https://www.vivacity-peterborough.com/vivacity/join-us/ .
- Chelmsford Museum has several vacancies at https://goo.gl/fkJf8E.
- Please let me know if you have an scallop-shell Santiago badges in your collection; a researcher is compiling a catalogue of them.
- If you are interested in the emerging Apprenticeship Standard for museum technicians, please complete the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HWXQ2QT by 30 October. I can also send you the Standard.
- I attach the latest batch of disposals from Burwell Museum. As usual contact Steve Crane at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- Please let me know if you are interested in applying for the SHARE Museum Futures grants, deadline 14 November. These are for developing plans and strategies for museums and I would be very interested to hearing from you if you need the application forms and guidance notes.
- There will be a Prosper programme workshop at Cambridge Corn Exchange on 1 November; details on request.
It’s all congratulations this week:
- Firstly, sincere congratulations to Ely Museum’s learning volunteers for winning the Marsh Award for the East of England – a tremendous achievement!
- Secondly, congratulations to the Royal Anglian Regiment Museum, Chatteris Museum, Burwell Museum and the Cambridge Museum of Technology on achieving Full Accreditation.
- I am also delighted to announce that Sarah Coleman has joined Mark Copley on the SWIM project as our new Volunteer Coordinator.
- The next Cambridgeshire Heritage Education Group meeting will be on 27 November at the Zoology Museum.
- The Whipple Librarian post is currently being advertised, closing date 27 October at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/14129/.
- The Fitzwilliam Museum is advertising for a Head of Digital and IT, closing date 12 November at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/15194/.
- SHARE are holding a session on venue hire, on 27 November at Peterborough Museum: http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/marketing-and-promoting-venue-hire.
- Vivacity is advertising for an Archives Education and Outreach Officer at https://www.vivacity-peterborough.com/vivacity/join-us/.
Here is this week’s round up of news for Cambridgeshire museums:
- The report on small grants projects for 2016-2017 is now available at https://museumsincambs.org/about-mic/cambridgeshire-museums-small-grants-2016-17/.
- SPECTRUM 5.0 has been released at http://collectionstrust.org.uk/spectrum/spectrum-5-0/. The Cambridgeshire Museums Forum hope to be able to focus on this at their next meeting, on 22 February.
- The latest newsletter of the British Association of Friends of Museum is attached.
- Last week my colleagues in ‘The Library Presents’ sent information to museums and have discovered there is a typo in theme, so if this applies to you could you please take down the fliers and posters (if you’ve put them up). The programmes are fine, so please promote those. We’ll send out new posters shortly.
- There is a forthcoming SHARED Enterprise workshop on ‘Data Savvy Fundraising: what you need to know about the GDPR’. The new laws come into force in May next year and the penalty fines for non-compliance will apply to all organisations, without exception, regardless of size or charitable status. It is therefore essential training for all museums. The workshop is being repeated in two different locations to make it as accessible as possible: 18 October – Ipswich Art School – click to book and 7 December – Epping Forest District Museum – click to book.
- Finally, if you haven’t already done so, you can book your place at the SHARE Conference on 6 November at click here.
- Kettle’s Yard have a vacancy for a Programme and Collections Assistant, closing date 12 October, at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/49744.htm.
Here is this week’s news for Cambridgeshire museums:
- The next meeting of the SHARE Front of House Forum is at Epping Forest Museum on 10 October and is on the theme of using dance in museums! Sign up now at http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/take-your-partners-a-share-front-of-house-forum-event/.
- Burwell Museum has more items for disposal (see attached). If you are interested please contact Steve Crane on email@example.com .
- The Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is advertising for a Visitor Services Assistant, closing date 10 October, at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/49609.htm .
- Ely Cathedral has a vacancy for a Learning Officer, closing date 13 October (see attached advert).
- This year’s round of small grants is now open (see attached guidance and application form). The closing date for applications is 30 October.
Here is this week’s Cambridgeshire museum news:
- The Fitzwilliam Museum has contacted me to pass on an offer of five display cases which are surplus to their requirements (see the attached photo and sketch) with a further five which are 100-200mm narrower. If you are interested please let me know and I’ll put you in touch.
- The SHARE training calendar opens for bookings today!
- This is just a reminder of the Discover and Explore Arts Award training at the Museum of Cambridge on 13 September. If you are interested and there are still places please book at http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/arts-award-training-discover-and-explore/.
- IWM Duxford is advertising for a Collection Care Technician at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/49324.htm, closing date 4 September.
- I attach the latest newsletter of the regional British Association of Friends of Museums.
- Waterbeach Military Heritage Museum are in need of a plan chest, so please contact me if you have one to spare.
- Kettle’s Yard has a vacancy for a Development Assistant, closing date 15 September, at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/14750/.
- The Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology has a vacancy for a Technician, closing date 22 September, at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/14843/.
- The Museum of Archaeology has two vacancies, firstly for an Ethnographic Conservator, closing date 25 September, job no. 49400 at , and for a Workshop Tecnician, closing date 22 September, job no. 49399 both at the same website as in item 4 above.
- Finally you may have read about the theft of metal objects from Bergen University. Photos are available at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vikingskatten/?fref=tsps.
- Just a reminder that the MiC AGM is on the morning of 21 September at the Norris Museum. The agenda will be mailed very soon.
Finally, just to mention that I shall be on leave from tomorrow till 11 Sept inclusive.