Just a reminder that, if you have not already done so, the deadline is TODAY (5 November) for registering for the SHARE conference in Colchester on 19 November http://www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/event/share-conference/.
The National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art in Newmarket is advertising for a Packard Curator, closing date 25 November (see attached).
Kettle’s Yard are advertising for a Development and Events Assistant, closing date 3 December, at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/19436/.
I also recommend the following clip about some exciting new items at the Cromwell Museum at https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2018-11-04/unseen-treasures-belonging-to-oliver-cromwell-go-on-show-for-the-first-time/.
I received news too late for last week’s bulletin that there are still places available on a Documentation Essentials workshop this Thursday 1st November at Mildenhall Museum 10am-4pm.
This workshop is being delivered by my Suffolk MDO colleague Jayne Austin, together with Collections Trust Outreach Officer Sarah Brown. It will explore the SPECTRUM Primary Procedures required for Accreditation, with a particular focus on Documentation Procedural Manuals. Attendees are invited to bring their own museum’s Documentation Procedural Manual – either complete, or in progress – for review.
To book contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a lot of news this week:
- Firstly, congratulations and welcome to Luke Syson, who has been appointed as Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum.
- The MiC AGM will be held on the morning of 26 November in the Ede Room on 2nd floor of Kettle’s Yard. I will circulate the agenda as soon as possible. Kettle’s Yard is closed to the public on Mondays but reception will be available to let you in to the building. Please bring your own refreshments, as the café will be closed, although it is hoped that coffee will be available.
- The new returns schedule for Accreditation has been published by ACE at https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/accreditation-scheme/accreditation-how-apply#section-3. Please let me know if anything is unclear.
- The SHARE Fenland Museums Network has its next meeting on 20 November at Wisbech Museum. See http://www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/event/fenland-network-lunchtime-networking-event/ .
- The next meeting of the Cambridgeshire Heritage Engagement Group (CHEG) will follow the meeting in item 4 on 20 November. There will be a joint lunch and tour of the Museum. More details will be mailed soon.
- The next SHARE training session for trustees, on financial strategy and governance, will be held at Ely Museum on 15 November.
- Congratulations to the Centre for Computing History on the HLF award on the LEO computer project. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-45953502.
- Appreciation also for Chatteris Museum’s decision to donate its ivory to the International Fund for Animal Welfare to protect elephants. For details see the attached release.
- Harwell Restoration are offering an emergency planning training day at Steventon on 28 November. This is for priority users, which includes all MiC members. See http://hdrs.co.uk/emergencycourse.html .
- A reminder if you are interested to register for Takeover Day (23 November) at https://kidsinmuseums.org.uk/takeover-day-england-registration-form/ .
- As part of The Library Presents, there will be a series of presentations in the libraries on ‘The Canals of Old England’, at Ramsey, Huntingdon and March (20, 22 and 23 November). For details go to www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/arts .
- Norfolk Museums are advertising for a Norwich Learning Manager, closing date 19 November, at https://norfolkcc.engageats.co.uk/.
Here are some items of news from the last two weeks:
The AGM of Museums in Cambridgeshire will be held at Kettle’s Yard on the morning of 26 November. I will circulate the agenda and further details nearer the date.
- The Norris Museum is advertising for maternity cover for the Director, closing date 4 November. See https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/53647.htm.
- The Churches Conservation Trust is advertising for a Heritage Learning Officer, closing date 2 November. See https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/53732.htm .
- The next meeting of the Cambridgeshire Museums Forum has been set for 17 January at 2pm at the Norris Museum.
- No less than 11 small grants for MiC member museums have been offered for projects to be completed in March 2019. They are sure to generate lots of great stories about what we are all doing to protect our collections and share our stories as widely as possible.
- AIM have relaunched their Prospering Boards programme and are particularly keen to enlist museums from our region. See https://www.aim-museums.co.uk/aim-prospering-boards/ for details.
- AIM are holding a session jointly with SHARE, for trustees, on governance and financial strategy, at Ely Museum on 15 November. See http://www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/event/aim-financial-strategy-and-governance-for-trustees-2/. Please pass this information to your trustees.
Here is the news that has come my way over the last week or so:
- SEMFed has its next meeting on 16 October at the redeveloped St Albans Museum and Art Gallery, reviewed in this month’s Museums Journal. Go to https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/semfed-study-day-st-albans-museum-tickets-49649985443 for details.
- The University Museum of Zoology is also reviewed in this month’s Museums Journal.
- Whittlesey Museum is looking to dispose of selected Sewing Machines, Typewriters, Gas Masks, Potato Riddles and Dolly Pegs – full details available on request.
- I have been told that there are small grants available from The Cambridgeshire Family History Society for projects such as digitisation of records likely to interest them. Please let me know if you would like more information about this.
- IWM Duxford is advertising two Executive Producer posts on the Leicester jobs site: one is for Air Show Creative Content (no. 53535), closing date 9 October, the other is for Schools and Families (no. 53541), closing date 10 October. See https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/museumstudies/JobsDesk for details.
- The UK Antarctic Heritage Trust, Cambridge, is advertising for an Administrative Assistant, closing date 18 October at http://www.ukaht.org/get-involved/jobs/.
- Booking for the 2018 SHARE Conference on 19 November is now open for booking at http://www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/event/share-conference/. The conference is at Firstsite in Colchester.
- Congratulations to Wisbech Museum and the Fitzwilliam Museum for being awarded a grant from Cambridgeshire County Council’s Community Literacy programme. The project is called ‘Creative Families: Talking Together at Wisbech Museum in partnership with the Fitzwilliam Museum’.
- SHARE is offering training in how to reduce your museum’s energy use. It is on 18 October in Norwich at http://www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/event/keeping-green-reducing-your-energy-use/ .
- SHARE has launched its exciting Hidden Histories programme, with grants on offer of up to £3,000, at www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/project/hidden-histories. The deadline has been put back to 11 February.
- Firstly, may I remind museums which have yet to pay their MiC subscriptions to do so now? We are already half way through the financial year and it is surprising that 12 MiC museums have still not paid their 2018-2019 subscriptions (see MiC News no. 126). If you are unsure whether you have paid I can check for you, but please note payment is an eligibility requirement for the small grants scheme which closes on 1 October.
Here is this week’s news relevant to MiC members:
- A reminder that Takeover Day is 23 November and you can register your events at https://kidsinmuseums.org.uk/takeover-day-england-registration-form /
- There’s an interesting new partnership agreement between HLF and ACE. See https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/17092018-ace-hlf-form-partnership.
- Please find attached a flyer for a child protection and safeguarding course in Peterborough on 17 October.
- A reminder that the Museum of Cambridge is recruiting trustees at https://www.museumofcambridge.org.uk/about/opportunities/, closing date 8 October.
ACE have just published an important statement based on work by key heritage organisations on museums at risk at https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/working-together-protect-museums-and-collections-risk.
Here are some items of news for the week:
- The SHARE Volunteer Coordinators Forum’s next meeting is at Anglesey Abbey on Thursday 20 September, and there are still places available! Sign up on the excellent new SHARE website at http://www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk/ .
- The Stained Glass Museum is advertising for a Learning Officer, closing date 28 September, at http://stainedglassmuseum.com/job_vacancies.html.
- Congratulations to Ramsey Rural Museum for being awarded a grant from the ‘Talking together in Cambridgeshire’ programme for a really nice project called ‘Treasure Chest’!
- There is a Tate ‘Sharing works of art’ workshop in London on 22-23 October. If interested contact RSVPsharingart@tate.org.uk.