With apologies for radio silence caused by my annual leave, here are some current items of news of interest to Cambridgeshire museums:
- Attached is the latest batch of items for disposal from Burwell Museum. As usual if you are interested please contact Steve Crane at email@example.com.
- The University of Cambridge Museums are advertising for a Head of Programmes, closing date 30 April, at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/51608.htm.
- The National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art in Newmarket is advertising for a Collections Care Conservator, closing date 21 May, (see attached).
- May I please encourage you to complete SHARE’s annual training needs survey which closes on 25 May, at SHARE Training Needs Survey. You can respond to the survey, which is crucial for SHARE’s planning, on behalf of your organisation or as an individual.
- SHARE has also launched the excellent Mystery Shopping Scheme and I encourage you to sign up! You will need attend the training on 11 or 12 May and more details are available on the www.sharemuseumseast.org.uk.
- The South and East Museums Federation has one of their very good study days at Palace House in Newmarket on 11 May. There’s a chance to see behind the scenes!
- Chatteris Museum has an exhibition about the Ferry Hill Tumulus opening on 26 May (see attached).
As all the 14 partner museums in the ACE and MiC-funded SWIM project will be aware, the two project officers, Mark Copley and Sarah Coleman, sadly left the County Council at the end of their contracts on 16 March. I’m sure all MiC members will join me in thanking them for doing such great work and for leaving the significant legacy in terms of improved resilience. The final evaluation report is currently being finalised and I will post it on the MiC web pages as soon as it is ready.
For other news, the latest museum job postings include several relevant to Cambridgeshire:
- The Museum of Cambridge is now embarking on its HLF Resilient Heritage project and they are advertising for a Transitional Project Officer, closing date 26 March. See https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/51382.htm.
- The Farmland Museum is advertising for a new Chair of Trustees, closing date 20 April at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/51365.htm.
- North Herts Museum is looking for an Assistant Curator, closing date 26 March, at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/51309.htm.
- Vivacity Peterborough is offering a Heritage Events internship, closing date 3 April, at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/51293.htm.
- The Fitzwilliam Museum is looking for a Front of House Host, closing date 26 March, at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/16870/.
Here is the latest list of museum news items:
- Congratulations to the Stained Glass Museum for securing an HLF Resilient Heritage grant to develop a masterplan over the next two years (see attached press release).
- Congratulations also to the New Hall Art Collection at Murray Edwards College on achieving Full Accreditation – this is a great addition to the list of Cambridgeshire’s Accredited Museums!
- Time and Tide in Great Yarmouth have a display cabinet to dispose of on a first come first served basis (so it may already have gone!). I have photos if you are interested.
- Chelmsford Museum also have some display cases to dispose of (see attached).
- The Tate are offering workshops (see attached), closing date 26 March, for anyone interested in borrowing works of art. You have to commit to attending on two days.
- Just a reminder of the SHARE Security Seminar which is in Ipswich on 26 March; sign up at http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/the-3rd-annual-share-security-seminar/.
- There is an excellent Funding Fair (mini-conference) for museums taking place in London on 20 March. For details see https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/supporting-london-museums/training-programmes.
- A final reminder that the deadline for nominations for the SHARE Volunteer Awards is Friday 16 March. See http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/volunteer-awards/.
Please note that I will be on leave from 23 March, returning to work on 16 April, so I am afraid there will be no MiC News in that period although I plan to send no. 122 before I go.
Firstly, I delighted to mention that the Museum of Cambridge has been successful in its application to HLF’s Resilient Heritage programme. The Museum can now embark on a structured plan to transition to a new business model ensuring its long term prosperity. Congratulations to them!
Here is the rest of the week’s news (without listing the ‘Beast from the East’!):
- There are several posts on offer around the County’s museums this week at https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/museumstudies/JobsDesk :51173 Outreach and Project Officer, Vivacity Peterborough, closing date 12 March51213 Museum Attendant, Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, closing date 19 March
- 51215 Preservation Manager, IWM Duxford, closing date 9 March
- 51193 Seasonal Retail and Administrative Assistant, IWM Duxford, closing date 12 March
- 51162 Curator, New Hall Art Collection, Murray Edwards College, closing date 21 March
- SHARE consultation on replacement for understanding museums
- I don’t normally list events in London, but the ‘Symbiosis’ event on 14 March strikes me as especially interesting for small museums trying to develop links with industry. See https://www.eventbrite.com/e/symbiosis-masterclass-tickets-42668523703.
- Events timed for the BBC’s Civilisations Festival are starting, for example see the Stained Glass Museum’s http://stainedglassmuseum.com/events.html.
Here are some news items I have received during the last week:
- The new ACE National Lottery Project Grants for arts, libraries and museums have been announced and will be open from 5 March. See http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/projectgrants.
- I would like to welcome Stuart Orme, the new Curator/Manager of the Cromwell Museum. Stuart started this week and I very much look forward to working with him!
- GEM is holding an ‘Empower the Educator’ session at IWM Duxford on 7 March. See book here!
- ACE are holding a briefing on tax credits at The Junction, in Cambridge, also on 7 March. See http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/events/museum-gallery-exhibition-tax-credit-briefings.
- The next meeting of the SHARE Fenland Museums Network is at Mildenhall on 14 March. See http://sharemuseumseast.org.uk/events/social-media-and-marketing-a-fenland-network-event/.
- Kettle’s Yard is advertising for an Administrative Assistant, closing date 5 March, at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/16708/
- The Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is advertising for an HLF Project Assistant, closing date 28 February, at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/16669/ .
- IWM Duxford is advertising for a Collection Care Technician (job no. 51029 at) and for a Conservation Manager (job no. 51030), both with closing dates of 2 March. See https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/museumstudies/JobsDesk .
Here is this week’s selection of news items:
- The biggest news is that Kettle’s Yard has now opened after major redevelopment! http://www.kettlesyard.co.uk/!
- The Fitzwilliam Museum is advertising for an HR and Workforce Development Manager, closing date 6 March, at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/16617/.
- The new General Data Protection Regulations take effect from 28 May and AIM have an excellent success guide about them. See https://www.aim-museums.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SG-9.pdf .
- Burwell Museum has another batch of objects for disposal (see attached). If you are interested contact Steve Crane on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I thank everyone who has responded to the CMF survey and ask remind everyone else that today is the deadline! See https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/CMFandMICsurvey/
With apologies for sending out another bulletin so soon after the last one, but I sadly have to report a burglary from a museum very near to Cambridgeshire:
https://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/updated-over-100-irreplaceable-items-stolen-in-raid-on-museum-of-east-anglian-life-1-8356601. Do please be extra vigilant.
A piece of happier Suffolk museum news can also be mentioned as it’s also close to our County: The National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art Newmarket is advertising for a Marketing Manager, closing date 16 February. See job 50875 at https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/museumstudies/JobsDesk