There is a lot of news this week!
Firstly, hearty congratulations to all the volunteers from Cambridgeshire museums who did so well at last night’s SHARE Volunteer Awards: There were strong nominations across almost all categories, from Cambridge Museum of Technology, Chatteris, IWM Duxford, Kettle’s Yard, March, Peterborough, St Neots, The Cromwell, Wisbech and the Fitzwilliam Museum. I am delighted to say that The Logistics Team from the Cambridge Museum of Technology were Highly Commended in the “We Couldn’t Do Without” category! Details of the all the winners will be in the next SHARE Bulletin.
Secondly, congratulations also to Jo McPhee on being appointed to the role of Head of University of Cambridge Museums’ Programmes. Jo will be responsible for delivering the strategic leadership, development and oversight of UCM’s Arts Council England funded National Portfolio Organisation (NPO) programme.
- A reminder that the summer meeting of the Cambridgeshire Museums Forum at Ramsey Rural Museum on 27 June. The agenda will be mailed soon. CMF needs a new Secretary, now that Mark Copley has left the County, so if you fancy an enjoyable new challenge working with museum colleagues please don’t hesitate to let me know.
- The South and East Museums Federation’s next Study Day is at the Roald Dahl Museum in Great Missenden on 28 June. Tickets are available here. It is also the AGM and they are seeking nominations for Committee Members, Secretary and Vice President. See attached role descriptions here. Contact Lauren Ephithite at email@example.com for an informal chat and submit nominations by 22 June.
- A reminder that the next Cambridgeshire museums trustee muster to be held at Ely Museum at 4pm on 19 July. Do promote this to your trustees and since I don’t have a mailing list for trustees please let me know the contact details of those who may be interested, so that I can send them details nearer the date. Please check that they are happy for me to have these details and assure them that I will never pass them on without their express permission.
- Kettle’s Yard are advertising for Visitor Assistant staff at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/17702/, closing date 20 June.
- The IWM Duxford is looking for a Curator in the American Air Museum, closing date 18 June, at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/52281.htm.
- The Museum of Cambridge is seeking a Community and Visitor Engagement Officer, closing date 17 June, at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/52188.htm.
- The Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is advertising a collections contract, closing date 20 June, at https://www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies/Jobs2/full_job_descriptions/52187.htm.
- Two grants of £5,000 and £2,000 for digitisation by heritage organisations have been announced at https://www.townswebarchiving.com/twa-digitisation-grant/ , closing date 12 July.
- I have received an intriguing request for information in museums about Young Farmers’ Clubs trophies from Cambridgeshire. If you have any such things in your collections please let me know or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.